The Christ Church Library

 

In 1981 historian Julian Walton took on the task of cataloguing the library that lay in a dreadful state of repair in the cathedral. What he unearthed was the most significant historical law library outside Kings’ Inn, dating back to a donation by Bishop Eske of a library to the new Robert’s cathedral when completed in 1779.

The collection comprises 3779 items, the earliest being an Erasmus copy of St. Augustine dating back to 1528.  At present the library is on permanent loan to the Luke Wadding library in Waterford Institute of Technology where librarian Mr. Kieran Cronin over five years created an online catalogue  of the collection.